How to:- Replace the Filter (VW / Audi Group)
- Remove cover from filter housing via the 2 Allen bolts, pull cover off with slip joint pliers.
- Clean any salt around the edge of the white nylon retainer using pointed item such as Stanley blade, do not damage the aluminium housing.
- Put oil drain tray underneath the filter/pump assembly.
- Connect laptop with VAGCOM/VCDS to car, turn on ignition, select “AWD Unit 22” from the “Select Control Module” page. (or use screw method in video)
- Select “Output Tests – 03”, then keep clicking “Start / Next” until you see “Haldex Clutch Pump (V181) Activate”, then click again. (or use screw method in video)
- The pump should run, will see a current value in amps in the measure block increase from 0.00 to maybe 2.00. (or use screw method in video) Watch the youtube video of driving the filter out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou5zNdIQOUQ
- When you can hear the oil drizzling into the drain tray, then turn off the ignition.
- Now go back under the car, the filter retainer will be sticking out by approximately 10mm.
- You can now pull the white nylon filter retaining spindle out with some pliers/grips.
- Now fish out the freely moving filter cartridge from the hole, maybe use some long nose pliers if your fingers cannot grab it.
- Clean out any debris from the housing with blue roll etc.
- Drain Haldex oil from drain point as per diagram “labelled B”
- *******(If pump is being replaced follow instructions here for pump)********
- Insert the new filter cartridge/retainer and plate assembly in one piece, ensure you lubricate the rubber O rings first.
- Some force is required to overcome the friction of the O Rings. If this force is getting excessive, clean the aluminium housing of any corrosion using a blade or abrasive, but ensure you plug the housing with blue roll or rags to stop any debris from entering the chamber and clean out afterwards as required.
- Overcoming the friction of the first O ring requires force, but to overcome the second O rings friction use the 2 bolts for the filter cover. Gently pull in the filter using both Allen bolts a little at a time.
- Ensure drain bolt “labelled B” has been refitted.
- Remove fill point bolt “labelled A” – before removing clean out any corrosion from Allen head, ensure Allen key/socket fits correctly with good penetration.
- Fill with Haldex high performance coupling oil until fluid is level/over flowing from fill point.
- THEN CARRY ON WITH PURGING/BLEEDING THE SYSTEM AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
How to:- Replace the pump (VW / Audi Group)
Firstly follow the instructions for filter change, until you reach:-
“*******(If pump is being removed follow instructions here for pump)******** Then.…”
- Disconnect both electrical connectors on top of haldex ECU
- Remove Haldex ECU via 2 Allen bolts
- Remove 2 Allen bolts from pump.
- Twist pump to break the friction fit of internal rubber O rings.
- Withdraw the pump using twisting action while using a thin scraper in the gap as a lever to help withdraw pump from the housing.
- Once pump is removed, cut the cable above the pump.
- Pull pump cable/connector out from ECU side.
- Unlock/unlatch plastic cable clips (x3) on the top/side of haldex coupling.
- Clean out any debris from the pump housing.
- Lubricate rubber O rings on the new pump assembly.
- Fit new pump into housing ensuring the strainer gauze is at the bottom. (correctly rotated)
- Feed cable over the top of haldex coupling, clipping cable into existing 3 x cable clips.
- Refit haldex ECU, and reconnect both electrical connectors on the ECU.
- Continue Filter instructions + Bleed/Purge Instructions
DEFECTIVE PUMP NOTES:- If pump does not work to drive out filter, tap on pump with hammer as the vibrations/shock jumps the motors defective excessively worn brushes into place to allow the motor to run. If this does not work, the pump will need replacing first, then fill with oil, then drive out the filter using method above, then re-fill with oil to correct point. (You may use more oil than is in 1 bottle in this situation)
How to:- Bleed / Purge the Haldex System (VW / Audi Group)
- Connect laptop with VAGCOM/VCDS to car, turn on ignition
- Select “AWD Unit 22” from the “Select Control Module” page.
- Select “Output Tests – 03”, then keep clicking “Start / Next” until you see “Haldex Clutch Pump (V181) Activate”, then click again.
- Run the Haldex pump for 1 minute, then press next to engage “All wheel drive (AWD) Clutch Engaged” – this opens the valve. Keep this running for 3 minutes.
- You will hear the air locks being pumped from the system, the pumps tone will fluctuate.
- Press next to disengage the Clutch valve, then next to disengage the pump. Keep pressing next to close the window. Close “22 – AWD” window and turn off ignition.
- Now repeat this process further twice until the pump makes a consistent sound indicating air locks have been purged.
- Now top up the oil until fluid is level/over flowing from fill point.
- Replace fill point bolt “labelled A”
- Expect to insert approximately 700ml of oil in total.
- Connect laptop with VAGCOM/VCDS to car, turn on ignition, select “AWD Unit 22” from the “Select Control Module” page.
- Click on “Fault Codes – 02”, clear any remaining fault codes on the unit.
THEN CONTINUE WITH TESTING THE SYSTEM
Test drive the car, find a safe and legal place to launch the car on slippery ground multiple times, ensure the 4wd system is working.
On low performance vehicles you may have to find a grass or other low friction surface to test 4wd system.
After multiple tests of the 4wd system, connect laptop with VAGCOM/VCDS to car, turn on ignition, select “AWD Unit 22” from the “Select Control Module” page. Click on “Fault Codes – 02”, ensure no fault codes have been triggered.